With so many health issues, diseases, pandemics, emotional scars, and disabilities, we spiral into self-sabotaging habits that lead us to an unfulfilling and dispiriting lifestyle – often resulting in chaotic events, including suicide.
Not many get the chance to save themselves and dig out of the rabbit hole that is consuming them from the inside. We fail to understand the very fabric that makes us human – the intense interconnectivity of our internal and outer self – when one fails to function – others suffer as well. Take our mental network, for example. When we suffer from depression or anxiety, it starts to show on our outer appearance in the form of weight loss, weight gain, and more.
This is the very reason’ holistic Health’ takes an approach that considers humans in their entirety and not focuses on the part that requires treatment/healing.
Before we discuss the importance of holistic healing, let’s first understand what it is.
What is Holistic Healing?
Unlike the mainstream medicinal approach, holistic healing takes a traditional route that considers the person’s mind, body, and spirit. One can explain this form of healing as the combination and overlapping of traditional, western, and modern-day medicine that go one step ahead of treating individual symptoms.
Alternative, herbal, or traditional medicine dates back thousands of years. Such a medicinal approach was a combination of skills, ancient knowledge, practices, and trials ranging thousands of years that were applied to treat physical illnesses and applied to improve mental health.
Today, such traditional medicine is most popularly referred to as ‘alternative medicine,’ that includes the following therapies:
- Physical Therapy
- Western Medicine
- Personal Training
Such alternative medicine combined with modern R&D focuses on a person’s emotional, physical, and mental wellbeing. The holistic healing practitioners believe that when a person approaches a problem, they have to treat them from every aspect of their being and ensure that it isn’t a completely different set of underlying issues that may be causing them to face this difficulty.
For example, a lot of the time, we suffer from migraines, and a modern practitioner (doctor) might give you medicine like painkillers. However, when it comes to holistic healing, the holistic therapist might inquire about your emotional wellbeing, eating habits, sleep cycles, and much more to get a bird’s eye view of what you might be going through that is causing you to have such migraines.
Now you must have a pretty good idea of what holistic healing stands for. Now, let’s explore why it could be important and essential for a fulfilling life.
Why Holistic Health is So Important?
We all want to live a fulfilling life, one that gives you inner-peace and contentment. However, we fail to do so, and most of us lose hope ever to achieve that small glimmer of happiness that seems to never be in reach.
What we fail to understand is that our wellbeing isn’t limited to our emotional sector alone. It has to do with much more than us – like the sort of food we are consuming, the kind of people and environment we are surrounding ourselves with, and so much more. It is often the smallest of factor that is ruining our health, and we simply fail to single it out.
There are five main pillars on which ‘Holistic Healing’ stands. They are as follows:
Holistic therapy looks beyond the obvious and dives deep into the matters less explored by modern medicine. It is believed that all 5 pillars need to be in the best of health for a human being to live a happy and satisfying life.
Let’s brush on the 5 pillars for your better understanding.
5 Integral Parts of Holistic Healing and Lifestyle
If you are considering working on yourself, holistically, it is advised you consider all 5. Here’s how:
Physical health is the most marketed and spoken about, with numerous nutritionists, trainers, and gyms selling the best packages; social media along with entertainment platforms showing ads related to physical fitness for you to get in shape. It is everywhere.
Similarly, holistic healing also emphasizes working on your physical health. However, not just physical alone. So, what can you do on your own to get physically fit?
- Get your 8 hours or 9-hour sleep. Your body and mind need this rest.
- Eat healthily – this just cannot be emphasized enough. It is also advised to read about the positive effects nutrient-rich food has on your mental and physical health.
- Avoid harmful consumption like alcohol and smoking.
- Refrain from processed sugar intake.
- Lastly, make sure you exercise and work out, no matter how little, but you must do that daily.
One of the most important and unfortunately grossly overlooked aspect is our emotional wellbeing. But we cannot blame ourselves, as it requires a certain level of wisdom to work on our emotional health. However, it cannot be ignored or undermined.
Here’s what you can do to make sure you are feeling better, and even if you aren’t, then you know how to handle yourself in distressing situations.
- Once you start to take care of your physical health, it reflects positively on your emotional side.
- Change your surroundings every once in a while and break-free from the monotonous and exhausting routine.
- Seek out therapies, including natural holistic healing sessions, to gain additional insights.
- Practice mindful living through meditation, yoga, and even relaxing with some great company.
- You can use many apps for stress-busting or try keeping a journal for an outlet.
There is a big misconception that spiritual health closely relates to having a religious belief and believing in the concept of a higher power(s). Although it does overlap with religion, that depends entirely on the person. In its essence, spiritual health is related to your inner soul, your beliefs, your moral values, and your principles.
You can work on replenishing your spiritual side.
- Writing down what you stand for and how you wish to live your life, the standards, and such. Then go through them to remind yourself to gravitate back to those values and practice them wholeheartedly.
- Spending time in nature and contemplating the balance with which the world stands so gracefully.
- Practice mindfulness and solitude in a relaxing environment.
No matter how big of an introvert you claim to be, humans are built to forge meaningful relationships. We are not meant to spend our lives alone. For this, your social health is also an aspect that holistic healing takes into consideration. Here’s what it tells you to do.
- Surround yourself with your non-toxic loved ones and have healthy boundaries with them.
- Making time for them every once in a while and build meaningful relationships.
- Participate in charity work and help genuine cases that need some form of assistance.
- Make sure you eliminate and cut-off anyone that disturbs your peace or brings any form of negativity around you. That will only leave you imbalanced and drained.
Do not confuse this with emotional health. Mental health deals with how your brain functions and the cognitive abilities associated with the brain.
We normally skip on this and only focus on our emotional side, and in most cases, neglect that as well.
- Make sure you keep yourself hydrated.
- Make sure you are in a place that has plenty of oxygen.
- Take a good amount of rest.
- Research on the foods that boost your brain functions.
- Download mobile apps that provide interactive games to keep your brain active and in the best health.
Hopefully, this article must have given you enough insight on how to approach holistic healing for yourself. Of course, you can approach a spiritual consultant that would take the journey to complete healing of mind, body, spirit, and emotion with you until you are in your best shape.
To truly achieve the best of life and enjoy the present with a sound mind, body, and spirit – holistic therapy and lifestyle are what you need to look into.