Diabetes is a serious condition that can lead to devastating health complications if left untreated.
The symptoms of diabetes are often overlooked, but they’re the key to identifying this disease before it has time to cause any lasting harm.
The best way to prevent diabetes is by changing your lifestyle in order to avoid weight gain and obesity.
This blog post will answer the most frequently asked questions about diabetes and give healthy lifestyle tips that help reduce your risk of getting diabetes. For example: What should I eat? How much should I exercise? Here are some answers!
What should I eat? You should follow a healthy eating plan that includes plenty of vegetables, fruits, whole grains and low-fat dairy products. It’s important to watch how many calories you’re taking in. Aim for about 1200 per day if you’re female or 1600 if you’re male.
Here are some foods you can eat to help you stick to your diet goals along with foods to avoid if you want to prevent diabetes.
Best fruits to eat:
- – Apples
- – Berries and grapes or raisins as snacks
- – Oranges (you can use the juice in salad dressing)
Best whole grains to eat for diabetic prevention:
- Whole wheat bread, brown rice, barley & oats.
- Avoid white flour products like pasta and cereals with added sugars.
- Brown rice is a great alternative if you don’t want so much fat in your diet!
You can also include healthy fats such as avocado, olive oil, coconut milk or yogurt and nuts like almonds or walnuts.
When eating out at restaurants, choose entrees that are grilled over fried foods .
This will help you stay within calorie limits while still enjoying delicious food .”
So many options 😉 Don’t forget about healthy fats , proteins, and carbs!
The key is to find a balance that works for you.
Proteins and Meat
- “Almonds are high in potassium which helps control blood sugar levels.” Almonds are also full of fiber so they help fill up your stomach without having too many calories. You can top salads with them instead of cheese if you want something salty 😉
- Proteins should be lean meats such as chicken breast or turkey burgers since these have less fat than ground beef (but make sure the meat hasn’t been seasoned with anything fatty).
You can find diabetes recipes on the American Diabetes Association website here: One recipe suggestion is this delicious Black Bean Soup with Cumin!
Diabetes is a serious disease that can lead to heart attack, stroke and kidney failure. It’s also increasing in prevalence, with over 88 million people, 1/3 of the US population, is estimated to have prediabetes.
The good news is that there are many things you can do to help prevent or delay the onset of diabetes. And some simple lifestyle changes can go a long way towards keeping your blood sugar levels healthy and stable.
For tips on how to avoid diabetes, check out our top recommendation for stabilizing your blood sugar, losing weight, and possibly reversing the effects of your diabetes. Visit to learn more